Oh hey, welcome to Heels In My Backpack!
This is your one-stop-shop for what I like to call ‘girly backpacking‘. You wanna travel the world on a budget, but still look good doing it right? I hear ya. Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place.
How it all began…
As a girly girl with a fashion degree and an unhealthy attachment to my straighteners, my first experience of backpacking was pretty daunting. I read every possible book and blog about packing lists and things not to take, and the advice was the same all round: leave the heels at home, you don’t need make-up, you won’t ever use a hairdryer let alone hair straighteners. I was seriously terrified.
But I accepted that life on the backpacking trail would be a little different and did what the experts told me… And massively regretted it. I just didn’t feel like myself. Sure I was a backpacker, but why does that mean I have to have frizzy hair and wear flip flops on nights out?
On my next adventure, I took my home comforts with me anyway. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t one of those girls with the 30kg suitcase who arrive at a quaint guesthouse and expect there to be a lift. When I set off on my round-the-world trip, my backpack was 18kg and I could easily carry it around on my back. And I just felt a million times better. So suck it backpacker tyrants, I can do this my way. The girly and (mostly) stylish way.
I have since travelled Southeast Asia, Australia, the United States and parts of Europe. And I always carry heels in my backpack.
So that leads me to Heels In My Backpack. I wish there had been someone out there to give me advice catered to me and my particular branch of backpacking. Not necessarily flashpacking, but backpacking with a bit of style at least. So I stepped up to the plate. Sharing my experiences of travelling and dishing out some helpful tips for how you can do it and still be awesome.
You want to know more about Kara?
Well just because I’m self-absorbed, I’m going to assume you want to know more about me. Here are some fun facts for ya:
- I have the same birthday as Elvis Presley. (That’s my go-to icebreaker if asked for a fact about myself.)
- My weirdest job was working in Australia as an ‘Onion Cutter’. Yep, legit job in the outback.
- I’m terrified of deep water and I’m weird about fish. So the first time I tried snorkelling in Egypt, I saw one fish and screamed into my snorkel. Not for me.
- After a few drinks I’ve been know to rap Alesha Dixon’s part in the Misteeq song ‘One Night Stand’.
- I have hyper-extended elbows.
- My dream job is to be a full-time Travel Blogger (watch this space) but in the mean time I work for a fashion retailer in London.
- I’m properly obsessed with cheese. Cheese toasties are like crack.
- At school I was really good at Maths and won the gold award in the National Junior Maths Challenge. I was also picked last for P.E. Go figure.
- I like tulle skirts, vintage t-shirts, white mochas, spontaneity, dogs, Stila liquid lipstick, mashed potato with gravy, fairy lights, yoga, Grey’s Anatomy, Rioja wine, messy hair, treehouses and the beach.
- I also have an insatiable appetite for adventure.
Sounds cool, where do I start?
If it’s your first time at Heels In My Backpack, why not wet your whistle with one of these bad boys? They are my absolute favourite posts. Enjoy!