So that was ‘Beauty On The Road’ month on Heels In My Backpack! It’s the first time I’ve devoted an entire month to one area of travelling and it was quite fun to look at the world of beauty in a bit more depth!
If you missed any of the articles, here’s a rundown of the posts that went up in May:
- May 2015: Beauty On The Road. An intro to a whole month of beauty fabulousness!
- Product Review: The ‘In Transit’ Range by This Works. A review of a lovely little range devoted to those gruelling journeys we endure.
- Prepping for Travel: Your Beauty Checklist. A guide to getting scrubbed, waxed and fully prepped for the beach bum lifestyle.
- The Best of Cosmetic Bags on the High Street. A bit niche but if you’re dragging it to the hostel bathrooms every day it should at least look pretty right?
- Should I Travel Size it? For that moment you’re in Boots staring at the different sized bottles – is travel size going to live up to the hype?
- The Battle of Make-Up Wipes vs. Cream Cleanser. Spoiler alert: I went into it pro-wipes, I came out pro-cleanser.
- The Travel Make-Up Brushes Sitch. A review of two very different takes on the term ‘travel brushes’.
- DIY Beauty Products on a Backpacker’s Budget: Part 1. You need a pampering pick me up but you’re broke… head to the supermarket! Part 1 includes a Brown Sugar Scrub, a Mango Face Mask, a Coconut Lip Scrub and some nifty sunburn remedies.
- DIY Beauty Products on a Backpacker’s Budget: Part 2. Part 2 of this special includes a Coffee Scrub, a Chocolate Face Mask, an Avocado and Coconut Hair Mask and another little sunburn soother.
- Range Review: Burt’s Bees. Reviewing the deliciously scented products from an eco-friendly range.
- The Best of SPF Lip Balms. The hunt to find a new lip balm that will soothe my quick-to-chap pout and give me that essential sun protection.
- Top Travel Beauty Tips from the Experts. I asked my fave travel and beauty bloggers for their top tips and tricks when it comes to travel beauty – a few gems in there!
It was definitely a different experience being a bit of a beauty blogger for the month. Mainly because I needed time to properly test all of the different products. Trying out 6 different lip balms and a whole bunch of DIY beauty product recipes isn’t a quick process! This meant I had to bang out most of my posts in the last week!
I did find some lovely new products though, that I will definitely continue using. For starters the Bee Good Honey & Propolis 2-in-1 Cream Cleanser is now a part of my make-up removing routine! It kicked make-up wipes’ arse and I’m officially a convert. The Burt’s Bees Honey & Shea Body Butter is also a winner and just smells delicious. I’m starting to think maybe I have a thing for honey?
A pretty great month for the world of travel beauty, right?
The monthly theme idea came from a book I purchased a little while back – Epic Blog: One Year Editorial Planner by Regina Anaejionu, the mastermind behind ByRegina.com. I know a lot of other bloggers read my blog, so I thought I would add it to my roundup as I would definitely recommend this workbook. It’s just a great place to get all of your ideas down and plan the month’s articles. You can buy one on Amazon here if you fancy it.
So these monthly roundup posts are a new thing for me, I just thought it would be a cool idea to review the month, pick out highlights, etc. I also thought I’d give you a little glimpse into my life over the last 31 days. Because I’m narcissistic like that. So here’s what’s been going on with me.
I moved house! I’ve got a lovely little one bed all to myself and I totally heart it. I’ve never lived alone so was a bit apprehensive but it’s pretty awesome to be able to watch 5 hours of the Kardashians and consume an entire Thorntons Easter Egg on a Tuesday night without any judgement. I signed a 6 month lease though, I hate those ‘tied-down’ feelings. I think that’s a consequence of spending a lot of time travelling, the commitment to one place is terrifying. Anyone relate?
I also went to a Eurovision party and partook in a lethal drinking game. You had to back a country you thought might win and then drink every time they got points. I backed Australia and they got like all the points. From all 40 countries. Every. Single. Time. Shit got real.
And I had a little outing to a Pie, Mash & Liquor and Ale festival in my hometown. Ridiculously British and made me realise that the UK is actually a pretty cool backpacker destination. Who knew? So expect some UK-related posts coming up soon!
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed ‘Beauty On The Road’ month! Let me know what you thought, any posts you liked or didn’t like, any products I’ve reviewed that you tried out, etc. Cheers. Now roll on Summer.