I haven’t done one of these in a while, these recipes inspired by my travels. But you guys seemed to really like my Chicken Itame and Morning Glory recipes so I’m going with it. Anyway, I’ve been branching out lately into new ideas for weeknight dinners, and although some didn’t make the cut, there are a couple that made it into my repertoire. One in particular being Nasi Goreng, the rice-based dish from Indonesia.
So I figured I’d be a doll and share it with you.
When I was in Bali last year, I ate this dish quite a lot. Particularly if we were in areas where the food options tended to be locals whipping up simple wok-based dishes in a shack by the beach. Aren’t they always the best places to eat, though?
And it’s pretty simple and takes no time at all, but is just delicious Asian comfort food. YES.
This is also a vegetarian take on the dish but it would be equally as tasty with some chicken strips or prawns thrown in, if that’s your thing. But I really like vegetarian meals at the moment so made it as is. Your shout.
Anyway, I initially followed a recipe from the BBC Good Food “Veggie Dishes” book because I just really rate their recipes, they’re always delicious but don’t include a long list of stuff you can’t find in Tesco, you know? But after a couple of tries, I’ve made a few changes based on my tastes. I’ve also made it even easier. Not that I like to take shortcuts but the fact that Tesco sell a Nasi Goreng paste really helped the cause.
Here it is, folks.
Nasi Goreng Recipe
- 300g Brown Rice
- 2 Eggs
- Groundnut Oil or Stir Fry Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1/2 Jar of Nasi Goreng Paste
- 1/2 Bag of Shredded Cabbage and Leek
- 4 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- Small Pack of Coriander
- 4 Spring Onions
- Cook the brown rice according to the packet. When it’s cooked, drain and leave on the side to cool.
- Prepare the vegetables whilst the rice is cooking – slice the onion, carrots and pepper into long matchstick-width strips. Shred the spring onion. Slice the chilli into circles. Mince the garlic and roughly chop the coriander.
- Scramble the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and put to one side as well.
- In a wok, heat the oil and add the Nasi Goreng paste and garlic, cooking for 1-2 mins.
- Add the onion, carrots, yellow pepper, red chilli and shredded cabbage and leek. Stir fry for 4 mins.
- Add the rice and cook for 3 mins.
- Add the soy sauce, egg, spring onions and coriander and cook for 2 mins.
- Serve with an extra sprinkling of coriander and sriracha sauce to taste.
See I told you it was easy. And just so tasty.
If you tried out this recipe, let me know what you think!
Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @HeelsInBackpack!