It’s hard enough packing for a city break where you need to think about different weather options and fabulous evening outfits, as well as all of the day time essentials. But New York City is a whole other ball game. I mean, I feel like this is the one place in the world that I pack way too much for. Probably because there’s just so much to do there.
But, I figured I’d just focus on a few of my top items for taking to the big apple. Because priorities. But don’t worry, I’ll also post about my entire NYC wardrobe, because that’s just who I am.
Spoiler: Scroll down if you want the deets on how you can win yourself some sick travel guides!
The New York City Essential Items
1) Marco Polo New York Spiral Guide
Ok, so I don’t always buy a travel guide for my trips, but if there’s somewhere that I absolutely needed one, it’s New York City. Even though this is my fourth visit, there’s SO MUCH to do in this glorious city that I like to be able to look up what part of the city I’m in and see what’s nearby.
I usually go with Marco Polo guides as I like their summary sections at the beginning such as itineraries for the perfect day and detailed information on airport transfers, and the New York City Spiral Guide was no different. I also like that it has a NYC map included, as well as a subway map. Plus, the spiral binding makes it easier to use on the go. Thumbs up all round.
2) Fabulous Yet Comfortable Block Heels
It’s no secret I like to take a pair of heels on my travels. I mean duh, this blog’s called Heels In My Backpack. I just feel like they make me feel less like a grungy backpacker and more like a fabulous local. And this is NEW YORK we’re talking about. I obvs need to channel Carrie Bradshaw vibes.
But the thing is, New York always involves a lot of walking, even in the evening. So comfortable block heels are the way forward fo’ sho’. On this trip I went for these beaut black leather sandals from Superdry. They’re super easy to walk in and go with my whole travel wardrobe. Get in.
3) Statement Nail Varnish
Now, I now this seems trivial, but I have a tendency to photograph the things I’m holding. And the things I’m holding are usually food and drink based. And New York is pretty much the mecca of food and drink. (See last week’s post on NYC food!) Hence the need for fabulously painted nails – because they’re pretty on show on my Instagram!
On this trip I went with Sunset Daylight Curing Nail Paint in Empire State of Mint by Barry M. And ohmygosh I didn’t even know this shade was called that! What are the chances!
4) New York Scrapbook
This is a new thing I’m doing. Because whenever I go on a trip, I come back with ticket stubs and boarding passes and flyers and I don’t want to throw them away, because memories, and it just all ends up in a drawer somewhere. So now, I’m taking along a notebook and some washi tape so that I can make a mini scrapbook whilst I’m on the go! It’s also perfect for the Instax Mini snaps I take and never know what to do with. It’s all very old school, I know. For NYC, I opted for this beaut New York Notebook from Abrams & Chronicle, for obvious reasons.
5) Cute Cross Body Bag
In any big city I think it’s essential to use a cross-body style of bag. I’ve always felt safe in NYC but it’s just as a precaution so it can’t get snatched, you know? And what better bag to take with me than the Skinnydip London Rainbow bag I featured in my March faves?! I’m seriously in love with this bag. Nothing is beating it.
WIN 5 x Marco Polo Spiral Guides!
Ok so hows about getting your hands on your own copy of a Marco Polo Spiral Guide? In fact, how do you fancy FIVE Spiral Guides of your choice?!
Try your luck in my Bank Holiday Instagram competition!
All you gotta do is…
- Follow me @Heels.In.My.Backpack
- Follow Marco Polo Guides @MarcoPoloGuides
- Like and comment on the competition photo
That’s it! And FYI the competition post should look a lil’ something like this:
Entries are valid between Friday 28th April at 5pm and Monday 1st May at midnight. The competition winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday 2nd May.
See as follows for the full T&Cs and good luck, buddy!
Terms & Conditions
1. The promoter is Heels in my Backpack and prizes have been donated by Marco Polo Travel Publishing, Pinewood, Chineham Business Park, Crockford Lane, Chineham, Basingstoke, RG24 8AL.
2. Employees of the aforementioned companies or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via Instagram – @Heels.In.My.Backpack.
5. Closing date for entry will be midnight Monday 1st May 2017. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
6. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
7. The rules of the competition and the prize for each winner are as follows: Entrants must follow @Heels.In.My.Backpack and @MarcoPoloGuides on Instagram and like and comment on the competition post. The winner will receive five Marco Polo spiral guides of their choice, subject to availability.
8. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
9. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
10. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
11. Winners will be chosen at random by software provided by randomizer.org from all entries received and verified by Heels In My Backpack.
12. The winner will be notified by Instagram within 48 hours of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 7 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
13. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
14. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
17. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
18. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
19. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Heels In My Backpack and not to any other party.
Total Blogger Transparency: This post is sponsored by Marco Polo Guides but all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I wouldn’t play you like that, shorty.